The procedure of NIE card renewal is quite straight-forward and simpler than applying for student visa for the first time. Furthermore you don’t need to return to your country of residence, since the whole process is done on the territory of Spain.
Your main prerequisites for student visa renewal are the following:
- Accredited documentation that states you have completed the previous course (Certificado de aprovechamiento)
- Certified copy of your enrolment application with a number of credits equal or exceeding previous studies
- An account in the Spanish bank stating economic means for the period of the whole stay
- Medical insurance
You can launch the process two months before your NIE card is due. It is better to submit documents for the card renewal before it is due, however after it expires, you have 90 days to apply for a new card.
Nevertheless, if you submit your documents after this period, you may get fined or refused in renewal.
Let’s elaborate on the steps you need to take to proceed with the renewal:
- Fill in an application form EX-00.
- A scan of all pages of the passport with NIE front and back.
- Fill in, print out and pay the 790 052 tax . You can pay it in any Spanish bank.
- Prolong you medical insurance policy for the period equal to your studies.
- Ask for a certified last years transcript (certificado de aprovechamiento) at the reception of your academic center.
- Get a receipt of payment and enrolment certificate of the new academic year (Matrícula).
- Order a certificate in your Spanish bank that proves that you have sufficient means to stay for the whole period of your studies. The minimum funds required is €600,00 a month. Multiply it on a number of months you are to stay and you will come up with a required sum. You can order a balance certificate online.
- If you have changed your residence (empadronamiento), you must present the updated certificate of registration (volante del padrón).
To submit these documents you don’t need an appointment in the police. The school’s lawyer provides his services for the submission of documentation electronically. This service costs €150.
If you still need any clarifications, you are very welcome to address them to us.