Student visa beyond 180 days up to 1 year (D category)

This visa gives the possibility to obtain a work permit that is requested at the “Oficina de Treball”  and you can renew the visa in the Spanish territory without having to leave the country.

If you are planning to study in Spain more than 180 days, the first step you need to make is to visit a website of Spanish Consulate of your country and learn the information on that type of visa. On the website, you will also find the information how to make the appointment to submit the documents and how to legalize them. Each Consulate has its own rules to get the appointment, in some cases, you need to make online request, while in other Consulates you should go directly and queue.To be able to obtain a student card (TIE), we recommend applying for a course of 9 months or more.

Here you can learn general requirements:

  • You can apply for a visa at the latest one month before the course
  • The documents for long term visa are processed within a month the application has been submitted, so make sure to have an appointment in the Consulate as soon as possible, so you get a visa before the start of the course
  • Some sources call this type of visa “student residency”, however, it has no residence status, since the main reason of stay in the country is studying

At the time of your appointment you must submit the following documents:

1.   A completed and signed visa application form in Spanish or English

2.   Two photographs (3,5×4,5), in color, on a light, plain and uniform background

3.   International passport (previous international passports) with photocopies of every page

4.   National passport with all the pages that obtain any type of information

5.   Overseas medical insurance coverage, issued by the company authorized to operate in Spain. Its duration should cover the whole period of stay as well as repatriation costs in case of accidents or severe illness. It is always better to apply for Spanish insurance; you can make it online.We recommend that you take a look at ASSSA Seguros, a trusted health insurance.

6.   Confirmation of school registration (Proof of full course payment, registration (matrícula), admission letter and course program)

7.   Proof of accommodation, stating address. (it could be rent agreement or invitation from an individual with a copy of Nota Simple Informativa, issued within three months before the start of the course) as well as the ID copy of the inviting person.

8.   Proof of financial reliability cover all expenses while the applicant is in Spain and expenses to return to their country and, when is applicable, those expenses of their families, according to the following amounts: The sufficient sum is calculated from a minimum of 600,00€ per month. So the sum on bank account should be calculated following the period of stay. This amount excludes study and accommodation expenses. You can also attach financial inquiry from work, or letter of sponsorship with a financial reliability proof of a sponsor (bank account, an inquiry from work, a copy of passport and a birth certificate, in case parents act as a sponsor).For the support of your dependent family members: for the first family member, 75% of the IPREM (Indicador Público de Renta de Efectos Múltiples), which this year (2023) amounts to €450.00 per month. For each of the other persons, 50% of the IPREM (Indicador Público de Renta de Efectos Múltiples), which this year (2023) amounts to €300.00.

9.   For those under 18, birth certificate, notarized agreement to leave the country from both parents which states the name of the school, course duration, information on the guardian, responsible for the child, and the original of notarial writing on the responsibility of the guardian.

10.   The adult students should provide a certificate of no criminal record the Hague Apostille within last five years, issued by the official body of the country.  The certificate is valid for three months.

11.   Medical certificate, with the signature and stamp of doctor translated into Spanish (original and copy) stating:

“This medical certificate certifies that Mr. / Ms. (…) Does not suffer from any diseases that may have serious implications for public health in accordance with the provisions of the International Health Regulations 2005”. This certificate is valid for three months.

12.   Documents on previous studies of the applicant. (higher-education degree, language certificates)

13.   Motivation letter (comprehensive reasoning of your trip)


  • The notarized documents and certificate of no criminal record should be authorized by the Hague Apostille
  • It is required to translate all the documents into Spanish (excluding passports)
  • Translations of a medical certificate, certificate of no criminal record and documents proving family ties require legalization
  • Each document is submitted with a photocopy
  • Photocopies are done after translations have been legalized
  • The Consulate may invite the applicant for the interview and request for any other documents
  • The visa you are granted is 90 days. During the first month after your arrival in Barcelona, you have to go to the Immigration Office in Spain to obtain the Foreign Identity Card (TIE). The NIE number is given to you by the Consulate and will be reflected in your Visa
  • If your visa is denied, the Consulate must inform you of this and for one month you have the right to file a optional appeal for reinstatement before the same body

In the following link you will find the Instructions on Study Permits for Stay in Spain.