In order to get your student card (TIE) you will need to be registered where you live.

It is called “empadronamiento” or “padrón”.

To get registered you need to go to any local office (OAC). In good old days you could just drop by the office on your way to a language school, while now you have to get an appointment.

  • Go to a website of  the City Council (Ayuntamiento)
  • Click “Solicitud de una cita” and fill out the form that shows up on the screen
  • Select from a drop down menu “OAC: Atención presencial en la oficina” in the field “Tema” and “Padrón: Alta/ Cambio de domicilio” in the field “Subtema”
  • Select time and the office
  • Then make sure that data you’ve inserted is correct so you avoid going there twice

On the day of your appointment you will need the following documents:

  1. Passport/DNI/NIE/residence card (photocopy and original
  2. Proof of address:
  • If you are a tenant, a rental contract obviously stating your name and ID details
  • If you are an owner, proof of property ownership (Nota Simple)

3. Proof of appointment itself

Important! If you concluded your rental contract more than one year ago, you need to bring along 2 last electricity bills that you paid.

But what if you haven’t got any rental contract, but a friend who doesn’t mind registering you at his/her place. In this case her/his presence in the municipal office is a must.

So what documents are needed for empadronamiento if you don’t have a contract yourself:

  • A rental contract of your friend
  • Passport/DNI/NIE/residence card (photocopy and original)
  • Authorization 

In case your friend is the owner of property, instead of rental contract you will need documents proving this ownership.

Empadronamiento in Barcelona is the first step towards TIE. How to proceed and what to do next you can read here.